October 02, 2011

nostagic stuff - old movie stars

I was reading the post on Hollywood Cinema at the blog Times of My Life. The cinema does not exist anymore. The premises are now occupied by Sheng Siong Supermarket.

I do not know if Siew Fong Fong or Fung Bo Bo performed at Hollywood Cinema before. However, I remember a movie star who made an appearance there. She was Jiang Xue,
江雪. In those days it was quite common for movie stars to make a personal appearance on stage at the cinema in conjunction with the screening of their movies.

This is Jiang Xue, 江雪.


Jiang Xue was a lead actress with the Guang Yi Movie Company, 光藝電影公司. The other more famous lead actresses were Nan Hong and Jia Ling. Jiang Xue was lesser-known and she looked like the goody type. I don't think she did any TV shows or dramas. I think after a short period she just vanished from the movie scene and there is little information about her. Nonetheless, of the three actresses she was my favourite.

This is Nan Hong, 南紅.


This is Jia Ling, 嘉玲.


And the lead actor of Guang Yi was Xie Xian, 謝賢. Unlike Jiang Xue there are plenty of news and gossips about him.


謝賢, 江雪


光藝是香港粵語片最後一個黃金時期的主要力量。


光藝電影公司係60年代是全盛時期,該公司出產電影質數很高,這八名影星是光藝基本演員,計有周聰, 嘉玲, 謝賢, 江雪, 余美華, 王偉, 南紅, 龍剛。


One of the last productions of the company - 《英雄本色》. Later I think there were two remakes of this movie.



Quiz for you

How many of the old stars do you recognize in these two photos? In the first photo I only know Cheung Would Yau and Bak Yin; and in the second, I only know Cheung Would Yau and Cheung Ying. I doubt anyone of you knows all of them.





Answers

Photo 1:

《十二金釵戲玉郎》(1951年)劇照。前排左起:林家儀、周坤玲、紅線女、張活遊、白燕、小燕飛、李雁;後排左起:伊秋水、陳翠屏、鄧美美、藍夜、秦小梨、林妹妹、梅珍、劉桂康。

Photo 2:

《為情傾倒》(1952)左起﹕任劍輝、周坤玲、張活游、張瑛、白雪仙、甘露、何少雄。

1 comment:

SK1968 said...

Hi, we are a group of photographers. We are currently embarking on a mini project to photograph the various opera troupes in Singapore and would like to explore the possibility of having the opportunities to photograph Cantonese Opera both on-stage performance and back-stage prep. Wonder if you know of anybody that I can get in touch with ? Tks.