November 16, 2005

School Mottos



I have been reading the blogs of some friends. They wrote nostalgically about their old schools and school days. I learnt that the motto of Braddell Rise School was B.R.S – Be Ready to Serve. The motto seems more apt for a service or sales personnel training school. The school is no more in existence.

I was prompted to look up the mottos of my old schools. The primary schools I studied in are not around anymore. Anyway I don’t think they have any mottos and I don’t remember wearing any school badges.

I looked up the crests and mottos of some well-established secondary schools. My two favourite mottos are in Latin. I think these two fit nicely into our Nation’s philosophies.

1. Nil Sine Labore meaning Nothing without Labour

Whether you want to increase your income, see your investments grow, do well in your studies or get rid of mosquitoes in your compound you have to work for it or put in the effort.

The government will help you if you help yourself; don’t just sit down and expect handouts.

MM Lee Kuan Yew said the world does not owe us a living. We have to work hard for our survival.

2. Facta Non Verba meaning Deeds (or Actions) not Words

Employers look for results and track records not at what you say.

You cannot achieve your dreams by just talking, do something.

Our country is also remembered internationally by our deeds and actions:- We caned Michael Fay, we banned chewing gum, we hang drug traffickers, we sent aids to countries hit by natural disasters, PM Lee Hsien Loong visited Taiwan.

My favourite crest is the green round one in the above picture. It has a picture of Leonardo da Vinci – scientist, inventor and artist. The motto is again in Latin - Diligentia, Ingenium, Dexteritas (Diligence, Ingenuity, Dexterity).


2 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

I think we can learn a lot from looking at the mottos.

My son is studying in ACS(I). Besides the traditional, "The Best Is Yet To Be"; I believe they have another one, "A Scholar and Gentleman". However, next year they are admitting girls. The motto will be modified to "A Scholar and Global Citizen".

My girls go to MGS. Theirs says "To Master, To Grow and To Serve".

Victor said...

Wah Frannxis, is this some kind of test like what Chun See used to throw at me? (Cold sweating...)

I can definitely recognise my own school badge and motto - This One No Sweat (er... this is NOT the school motto).

The other 2 are like wills with written word on them (i.e. 'dead giveaways', pun intended). ACS - Anglo Chinese School and GESS - Gan Eng Seng School.

Well ok, I cheated on the remaining two - I did a search on them on the Internet. The one with Leonardo Da Vinci is TKSS (Tanjong Katong Secondary School?) and the one with Facta Non Verba is Bartley Secondary School. At least you can't fault me for my honesty for coming clean (about cheating) right?