December 30, 2006

Hong Kong


The second place I have been to more times is HK. My first trip was a HK-Taiwan tour, the second was a HK-Bangkok tour and the third a HK-Macau-Shenzhen tour which actually had optional tours for the three places. We did not choose the half-day HK tour.


After that came the budget airlines - Valuair and Jetstar. Then HK became quite attractive - airfare about $340, travelling time about 3.5h and the climate in HK in December was cool. HK is also a good place to watch cantonese opera shows, more convenient than in China.

For transport around HK, I think its MTR and buses are a little more efficient than ours. But I have never taken buses in HK during peak hours or to outlying areas.

For food, we are better in terms of varieties, taste and hygiene.

5 comments:

Victor said...

Thanks for the armchair tour of Hong Kong, Frannxis. I was in Hong Kong only twice, both in the early 80s.

One thing I've always wanted to find out - does Hong Kong still have the trams I saw in the 1980s? (I think they come in Christmas colours - green and red, haha.) If there are, which area of Hong Kong are they operating in? Also, I can't remember if they run on tracks. If you have a good high-res photo of the HK tram, can you kindly email me a copy? Thanks a lot.

Miko said...

i have never been to hk lor but i wanted to go there. I wanted to go China also..

Anonymous said...

Aiya Vic where got armchair tour - so brief and skimpy.

I have only taken the Peak Tram to Victoria Peak, a Tourist attraction. ...but I have not ridden on the ordinary trams you mentioned. I think they are still operating - I saw them, can't remember this year or before that. They run on HK Island only, not on the Kowloon side. Yes they run on tracks.

Just didn't think of the taking the photos of the trams - so have to disappoint you.

The tram co has a website, they have some nice photos:-

http://www.hktramways.com/en/home.html

Victor said...

Thanks for the very informative link, Frannxis. Just what I needed.

Anonymous said...

oooh i love to go to hk too!! haha..