November 05, 2010

a horror story

The Surgeon's Tale by J.P.Dixon is one of the stories in this book.


I have read a lot of horror stories, but I forgot most of the stories soon after. However, I still remember this story although I read it many years ago. It is quite a unique story.

The story took place towards the end of the 19th century in a sleazy district in London with its seedy pubs, music halls and theatres where you could see bizarre and freakish shows. The story is about a woman performer who had a morbid fascination with the mutilation of her own body.

With every show, a part of her body (a finger for example) would be cut off. So, after ten shows all her fingers and toes would be gone. She had a perverse obsession to see how far she could go. The Surgeon came to know her and gradually got himself involved in the heinous and immoral experiment.


Perhaps this passage will give you a clearer picture of what I said.

No comments: