March 06, 2006

Two Shows

Friday night I was at Kreta Ayer People’s Theatre to watch Zhu Zhi San chooses a son-in-law. Saturday night, some opera friends were performing at Victoria Theatre; so I was there. Otherwise, I think I would have gone to Joo Chiat C C. Just read Miko’s entertaining report on her show. There were some unexpected hitches during the show but they handled the situation very well.

Zhu Zhi Shan is a good comedy but I wouldn’t rate it too highly. The ‘dan’ (lead female artiste) was very pretty. The ‘sheng’ (lead male artiste) was tall and thin. I think he was slimmer than the dan. I took this picture after the show. Actually I would like to take the performing artistes only but the officials joined in. The dan is in the red costume, The sheng is behind her, partially blocked by Dr Chua of the COI.




The 6 opera excerpts at VT were not new and I have seen all the artistes, except one, perform before. This one looks new and young. She was acting the Green Snake in an excerpt Flooding the Jinshan Monastery. She looked quite tense but she could remember all her songs and actions in the 30-minutes excerpt. Not bad.

During interval I went backstage to try to take some pictures. The backstage is quite vast. There are makeup rooms on both sides. I think upstairs also got. Everyone seemed to be occupied with something. Then I went onto the stage behind the closed curtain. This girl was carrying a stick-like thing with a basket at one end and walking about. So I asked her permission and took her picture.

She is Chung Wai Ling. She would be acting a peasant girl in a popular excerpt from the famous Reincarnation of a Beauty. Her acting and singing resemble Mui Suet See, a Hong Kong artiste.

3 comments:

Miko said...

Fortunately, you did not come to see my performance!

A.C. said...

Sigh... I didn't manage to turn up for both Miko and the comedic opera show, because I was busy sewing props at home. Now my right thumb's knuckle is still swollen from the exccesive pressure I used when using the needle!

Miko said...

wah... so hardworking. We should appreciate that Ang is doing all these for us.

Frannxis: Almost can't recognise your blog!