October 27, 2008

Another accident

First about the car accident.

Repairs: about $40 more and it would be $2000, double the amount I first estimated. One unexpected item was replaced - the radiator. Maybe there were damages I couldn't see from the top. Exclude the radiator and probably Victor's and MD's estimate of $1600 were correct. It was only a small accident, yet repairs cost so much. No wonder premium keeps going up and insurers are reluctant to insure accident-prone drivers.

The workshop is one of INCOME's quality workshops. I would say repairs are well-done, and there is guarantee for 6 months.


Another accident

It involved my camera, the blue Casio camera I bought more than a year ago and which I had written a post about.


It slipped out of my hands, at standing chest-level high, and plummeted about 130cm onto the concrete floor. If you still remember your Physics, when an object falls, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. You can calculate the speed at which the camera struck the floor. The force of impact depends on the mass of the object and speed at that instance.

For example, if you are speeding and your car hit a tree, the tremendous force will smash up the car and kill you.

As for the fate of my camera, the impact caused the cover of the battery compartment to break open and the battery tumbled out. The screen and lens were OK. I put the parts back quite easily. It can still function but now pictures taken look like this:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor camera..

Victor said...

I think you got the same problem as me. It is not worth repairing the camera when it is out-of-warranty. Samsung quoted me an atrocious $150 to repair the lens barrel. (That was one year ago.) In the end, I sold the spoilt camera and its 2 lithium batteries for $30 to someone who wanted its spare parts.