October 15, 2011

drinking wine the Chinese opera way

I found these two photos and downloaded them some time ago. I can't remember the names or web addresses of the sites or blogs. I hope the site owners won't mind I use their photos.

The huadan in the first photo is Chor Wun Yook.


This photo shows the huadan drinking wine. She holds the vessel with her lips and slowly bends her body backwards to let the wine flow down her throat. I have seen two operas in which the huadan drinks wine this way - The Drunken Gui Fei, 貴妃醉酒 and Dick Cheng, 狄青.


During the whole process she doesn't use her hands at all. She uses her mouth to grip the vessel on the tray held up by a maid and then she lifts it up with her mouth. When she has finished drinking she places the vessel back on the tray with her mouth .

I don't know what this show is or who the artistes are. Looks like this huadan has been drinking too.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Frannxis,

Do you know whether KAPT foundation will be organising any CO performancethis year?

thanks

Sam Yeo said...

San Wang Wu Di opera is open again. Please Support. Thanks, Location Just opposite Maxwell food center.

fr said...

Linda, I don't know but I think KAPTF won't be bringing in any troupe this year.

Oikky Porky said...

Hi Frannxis,

Nice photo of the opera actress drinking wine without using her hands. I suppose you are a Cantonese opera fan and may I ask have you seen Cantonese opera in amusement parks before?

Cheers