August 30, 2012

dry means more crispy and less sweet

Last week I noticed some beer on offer at a supermarket. One of them is a Japanese brand and is stated as super DRY. I bought a pack.

If you are a beer enthusiast you may know what dry beer mean.

I don't know. Well, here is something I found ...

"Dry Beer is characterized by unusually high attenuation, which is achieved through a combination of yeast and ingredient choice, long fermentation time, and in some cases special chemical processes designed to break down ordinarily unfermentable sugars into smaller, more fermentable ones.

As a result, dry beer has very little residual sweetness, very little beer flavor, and a slightly higher than average alcohol content. The result is a beer with a crisp bite and little or no aftertaste, said to be good for cutting through greasy or fatty foods and with a more interesting, delicate residual flavor than a typical mass-market American-style pale lager where a light flavor is obtained solely through the use of adjuncts."


Does that explanation make you wiser? If you are a beer connoisseur, perhaps you can distinguish the different levels of sweetness. I cannot. I guess what matters to many people is whether it suits their taste. For myself, it does.


There are many beer blogs. Here is one - http://thebeernut.blogspot.sg/

No comments: