September 07, 2012

many children

Did you read the news about a couple with 6 children and their income is only about $1500. The children get aids from their schools and the family gets support from some agencies and kind-hearted people.

Nowadays it is rare to have big families with many children. However, several decades back it was different. During my childhood we lived in a kampong consisting of attap and zinc-roofed houses. Many of my neighbours had 4 or more children. My parents had 4.

In past years I have met a few of these children when I went back to the temple in the area during the second month of the lunar new year to watch the street opera there.

There was a well near my house and sometimes you would see housewives there washing clothes using the well water or children bathing.



This is not an original photo. I pasted the well there. What do you think was there in the original photo?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A standing tap

fr said...

Right, it is a water standpipe. I will put up the picture in the next post.