November 08, 2006

Old pictures

My friend Victor mentioned in jest that MM Lee was an opera fan. It made me think of something and I went to check up an opera book. Sure enough, I found this photo of the then PM Lee and MP for Tanjong Pagar presenting an award to an opera artiste during a show to raise funds for the Tanjong Pagar Community Centre. It was in1972, 34 years ago.

And it says opera artistes from Hong Kong were popular then. The names of these artistes were not stated. They look a little familiar but I am not sure who they are. Anyone knows?

Going to the movies was a common form of entertainment for many people in the 60s. Some popular movies were shown to full-houses for weeks. The picture below shows a billboard on wheels advertising a mandarin movie and three other advertisements - one for a cantonese movie, one for a hokkien movie and one for a teochew movie. (Click on picture for larger version)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cantonese opera artistes!!!
They are Long Jiansheng and Mei Xueshi..
The first dan looks like Gong Xuelu..a Wu Dan in their troupe.

But I'm not so sure abt Gong...perhaps can ask my friend..cos she watched their shows during that time...

60s....wow...so long ago...not my era.

Victor said...

Woah Frannxis, your this post is suitable material for yesterday.sg. (And just in case you are wondering, I am not saying this in jest.) I particularly like the antique lorry advertising the show on its tentage at the back. Really brings back yesterday's memories (which I almost forgot).

May I have your permission for people at yesterday.sg to link this post up?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vic, but I prefer not to. I feel it doesn't qualify for a yesterday posting as it is too brief and there is no central theme.

Victor said...

Then write more, hehe... only kidding. Okay Frannxis, no problem. I respect your opinion. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Did you all notice the cinema names in the ad for the hokkien movie, one cinema name got some snow-like thing on top. this means the cinema got aircon. the other cinema just got fans.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amai, you are right about Long Jiansheng and Mei Xueshi. An opera fan said the other one is Yen Suet Fen,言雪芬. A friend told me the same.

Anonymous said...

I am quite about Loong Gim Sang and Mui Suet See but the hua dan on the left doesn't fully resemble either Kong Suet Loh or Yuen Suet Fun. Anyway, if I remembered correctly, Chor Fung only started coming to perform at KAPT from the 70's.

Mimi

Anonymous said...

Then who is the mysterious dan?

Anonymous said...

Fr: do you have an email address so that I could contact you. The one that u usually use and oftenly use.