January 18, 2007

Social responsibilities

One night last December I was walking home past several blocks of flats. It was past mid-night. The place was deserted. Then I saw a man urinating at the side of one block. He was dark-skinned, tall and stout and looked drunk.

I was thinking if I should do something or not. Call the police? No point. Take photo? What for? Go and tell him off? What if he beats me up? What else could I do?

In theory, it is easy to say what you would do but in practice it is not so easy.

As I walked past the block, he had finished his job and was keeping his tool.

Never mind lah, I thought, let him go, just that he drank too much beer and was urgent. Not good for him to control for too long.

What about people having sex in a bus? I would intervene, tell them to buy some shields and go to a hotel or at least I would tell the bus-driver.

Someone cycling on an overhead bridge? I think I won’t do anything. But if he knocks down an old man or a pregnant woman, he could face serious consequences.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

u mean u ever seen ppl having sex on the bus??

Anonymous said...

No, Shanice, just that last week the papers reported a case and one guy took a video of their misdeed. So I was thinking if I encounter one...

Victor said...

Ya, I totally agree that what one should or should not do would depend very much on the circumstances of each case. As for the incident on the bus, many people (HSLs/CKPs especially) would quietly watch the free show from the corner of their wide-opened eyes. But the guy who took the video was more considerate - he took a video (and put it on U Tube?) for the whole world to enjoy. LOL.

Kongming said...

i only know ppl having sex outside mrt in e middle of the night

Anonymous said...

Not YouTube Vic, YT doesn't allow it, not even topless scene and they are strict about this. I think it was send to STOMP, a Straits Time site.

juanjuan said...

ehh... mad or what these people....

Lam Chun See said...

Maybe they are high on drugs of something - the amorous couple I mean.