April 05, 2007

Beijing 2008

I am not much of a sports person but I do watch sports and games.

The news said Chinese athletes were under great pressure to get medals in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

I remember this news feature about how one coach in China, Ma something, trained his marathon runners. The athletes were confined in their training camp. They could not contact the outside world; no recreations, not even television Their daily routine consisted of running, eating, attending lectures, going to toilet, sleeping. Humdrum and rigid. Every day the same thing for 2 to 3 years and they ran 40km everyday. Terrible isn’t it, and they were only teenage girls.

That was quite some years ago.

I remember watching Li Jia Wei’s game in the table-tennis live telecast a few years back. I don’t know about techniques and skills but I liked to watch their faces, concentration, sweat, emotions and the little yelping noise they made when they scored a point or made an error. I took a picture of Jia Wei off the television screen – the emotional one, with tears in her eyes.


It is more exciting if you support one side and you see the score goes up.

The Olympics is still more than one year away. Singapore has won one and only one medal in the Olympics and that was 47 years ago. Hope we will win some medals including gold in Beijing. Too optimistic?

1 comment:

Victor said...

Ya, I think it's too optimistic. But there's no harm hoping, is there?

If they can't get the real medals, I can always photoshop some virtual ones for them, haha.