Remember, some time ago I did a survey about visitors to this blog. About one third of them are 50 or above, and another one-third are 30 or below. The rest are between 30 and 50. So, many of you had left school for a number of years. Unless you work in the education line, I think you would have forgotten some of your English lessons.
Check yourself with this quiz; it has a little of everything - tenses, verb-subject agreement, infinitives, pronouns, nouns, vocabulary, clauses, idioms. Just pick the correct answer:
1. " Is it really true? " she asked, giving him an ___ look.
(a) incredible (b) incredulous
2. It ___ since last night.
(a) has been raining (b) was raining
3. Which sentence is correct?
(a) The principal who everyone respects has been transferred.
(b) The principal, who everyone respects, has been transferred.
4. Yesterday the teacher made him ___ round the field.
(a) run (b) ran
5. I suspect he has sent us on a wild-goose chase.
'on a wild-goose chase' means...
(a) to catch wild geese (b) on a foolish and fruitless search
6. Neither he nor his brothers ___ in school today.
(a) is (b) are
7. I want two ___ apples.
(a) dozen (b) dozens
8. She gave you $200. He also gave you some money. Did he give you more than ___ ?
(a) her (b) she