January 09, 2009

Niu Year $$$ not enough

Even before the Niu Year starts, a big chunk of my income will have gone to the car:

insurance, after 50% NCD and 5% LD, and 6 months road tax - about $1100
normal servicing (every 6 moths, exclude repairs, replacement of parts, etc) - estimate $200

compulsory inspection - $62 (if fail, re-inspection $31)

three months parking fees - $195


Total more than $1500 !!!

At times like this, it looks stupid to own a car. Otherwise, part of this amount would have gone to my savings or holiday fund instead.


COE and car prices going down. You may be thinking of buying a car, but don't forget to factor these items in your budget.
Then you have to think about parking and ERP charges. And if you are involved in an accident, it means a lot of inconvenience and more money gone
.

4 comments:

yg said...

fr, at least you don't have to spend on petrol. i must be real dumb. no income, still servicing a car and my petrol bill comes up to $300 a month.

Anonymous said...

how come I don't have to spend on petrol ?? I not buy car for display and I also don't know any Oil Sheik. I have to pay for petrol lah, but only about half of yours.

Haha, no income but lots of money, right?

Anonymous said...

Count yr blessings.
To be able to own a car is a blessing. No need to be pushed in buses and MRT. No need to see so many unpleasant sights where you can't do anythings abt it.

Money earned are meant to be spent, right ? So happy driving !

amai said...

Having a car really can burn a big hole in the wallet. I need the car to go cuz my working place is far away from home. However I do try to save on my petrol during weekends by taking public transport.

The carpark fees can be "BIG" enough to make your heart skip several beats...

However when I am not using my car, my brother would borrow it...

Sighz...does that mean I go back to square one? Sighz...