January 04, 2009

Travel thoughts

Sunbeam Theatre
This is the Cantonese opera icon in HK. Actually it is just an ordinary theatre. What is unique is the various big illuminated standing billboards in the forecourt.

I read the news that the theatre owner has extended the lease of the theatre for troupes to use for another three years but the rent has been raised. If the rent issue is still not resolved by the early this year, the troupes may not be able to perform there.



The day I was there there was a night performance, so I bought a ticket for the show. As expected, the audience were elderly people. I would say many are 70 and above. I didn't see children or anyone who looked like below 20 or maybe even 30.

They have young people and even children learning cantonese opera. I think some schools are having it as their ECA. I presume these are small groups with few students.

But, unlike in Singapore where we are encouraged to use mandarin, their education is in cantonese and they live in a cantonese-speaking environment. Even their annual big-scale fund-raising show has CO performances.

So, how come no young people go to the theatre to watch CO?
I think the reason is that although a lot of young people may know something about CO they are not interested enough to go to a theatre to watch a three-hour show.



This is a cooked-food stall near the theatre selling innards of cow. I think this type of food is quite popular in HK. But I have not seen any similar stall selling pig's parts.



Motherly love

A loving mother and her daughter sharing a box of lunch at a park. It was not the type of lunch box you could buy from the food stall. I think it was packed at home. I managed to peep into the box and saw rice, some vegetable and a chicken drumstick.

I find this scene warm and nostalgic. It makes you think of your childhood
when your mother fed you with a spoon. Nostalgic thoughts are good for you.

No comments: