January 21, 2010

Miscellaneous

singles

On and off you read comments about allowing singles to buy HDB flats.
The reasons for not allowing singles to buy HDB flats have been explained many times and I think older singles are allowed to if they satisfy certain conditions.

If you allow young singles to buy HDB flats, I think it could encourage more of them to stay single.


cold theatre

Friday night I was at the Drama Centre, National Library. It was cold. I didn't feel cold during my previous visits, but that night it was especially cold. I guess it was about 20 degrees. Many people also complained cold but many had also come prepared and put on extra warm clothing.


Later it was better, probably because of the heat from the bodies in the packed theatre.


plastic bags

If you go shopping in Hong Kong or Guangzhou, it is better you bring a bag along. In HK, some supermarkets don't give you bags or charge you 50 cents for it.


Once I bought some vcds from a shop in Guangzhou. At that time I did not have any bag, so I asked the cashier for one. She said they didn't have, so she used sticky tape to secure all the discs together. I had to hold the thing in my hand.


In Singapore, Wednesday is bring-your-own-bag day at some supermarkets and stores. At Fairprice and Shop-and-Save they don't charge you for a bag but you can deposit 10 cents in the donation tins. Not many people do this. But there are a few shoppers who bring their own bags every visit.

On any day, Fairprice gives you a discount of 10 cents on purchases of $10 or more if you bring your own bag.

No comments: