April 22, 2010

washing machine

Not long ago my washing machine conked out before it could finish the job it was doing. The clothes were not dried yet.

Do you know that wringing water out from the clothes needs a lot a strength, especially if there are more than a dozen pieces. I think housewives in olden days must have very strong hands and arms. They were wringing clothes for years and probably 365 days a year. I suppose they also had to lift water from the well and carry heavy pails of water.


About two decades ago, the washing machine was still not an indispensable item in the house. Some people were still washing clothes using their hands and with the help of a washing board or scrubbing board.


If you have not seen a washing board before, here is a picture of it and a girl showing you how to do the washing.


The picture is the header of this blog - http://moonlightnightsstarryskies.blogspot.com/.
(The blogger has changed the header picture when I visited today 23/04/10)

5 comments:

peter said...

That girl in pic is post-ops

Victor said...

It doesn't look like a washing board to me. (I am NOT referring to the wooden object on the floor.)

Unknown said...

Victor:

You are cheeky. But not sure how many could catch it, as the joke you are referring to is more prevalent among the Cantonese.

Victor said...

CC, I have always been cheeky. Someone said that it was not long before the "y" changed to "o", i.e. cheeko. And yes, I am Cantonese.

Unknown said...

LOL!!