June 14, 2010

unlikely to happen

Last Sunday I watched the Opera Excerpts Show by the Nanning Cantonese Opera Troupe. At first I had no intention of taking videos. After the first two excerpts I took out the camera and wanted to take a short clip.

Soon after I pressed the button, the battery icon started blinking. Battery was going empty.

It was not complacency or taking things for granted. It is more like the 'unlikely to happen' attitude. I just charged the battery a few days ago. So I thought it was unlikely to conk out so soon. But I did not take into account that I took quite a number of photos in the past few days. Perhaps it is this thinking that sometimes unpleasant things happen.

Back to the shows. The Show was certainly one of the best of the 7 shows the Nanning Troupe presented. The 6 excerpts were interesting, entertaining and well-performed. There were generous displays of fine singing and traditional opera skills. For myself I liked the first 2 and the last excerpt.

The first was about a meeting between a scholar and the daughter of the Sea Dragon King. It was performed by Wong Wai Kuan and Leong So Mui.

The second was about the meeting of two brothers of the patriotic Yang family at a temple. It was performed by two young artistes of the troupe.

The last was about a young girl falling in love with a teacher. It was a short and sweet piece by Wong Juen Seng and Yew Yim.

Here is the very short clip I took, only 17 seconds. It showed a man beating a woman, opera-style. (The man was forced to beat the woman he loved.)

打寇珠 - 许光华, 刘希瑛 .....


No comments: