September 14, 2010

chuan and chuang

I realized that some people came upon this blog when they were searching for "qiang jian" because I have a post with this title. In it I was referring to the show in picture 1. I guess some people were probably thinking of something like in picture 2.




bao yu


I was listening to the Mandarin news on TV. The reader said "There are bao yu in this part of China."

Do you know what bao yu is?

No, not abalone; it is rainstorms.



chuan and chuang


Can you pronounce the above two words correctly?

If you ask the beautiful Chinese tour guide "Miss, when can we shang chuang?", you might get a scolding from her. It means you are asking her what time she can go to bed with you.
(Shang means to go up.)

It should be "shang chuan". It means what time we (the tourists) can board the ferry or boat.

No comments: