January 29, 2013

長貧難顧

長貧難顧 - This Chinese saying means something like this: You have a friend or relative who is poor. He borrows money from you quite regularly. He doesn't have a job and has no savings. Although you don't mind helping, you know you cannot do it indefinitely.

I have a similar experience and this Chinese phrase pops up.This friend had borrowed money, not small sums, from me a few times already and I had no hesitation lending him each time because I trust him. He had paid me back only the first loan. However, recently he increased the amount. Now I am wondering whether I have been lending him money too readily in the past. I also wonder if he borrows from his other friends too.   

I think I will tell him nicely that he cannot depend on me every time. I hope he won't be offended.

No comments: