May 11, 2006

Opera at Macpherson

This Sin Yen Ling Troupe is performing at the short dead-end road indirectly opposite Macpherson CC. I think this is an annual affair. But I have never gone to watch because I had little interest in Hokkien opera then. This time I have a little interest so I went down to look see.

A group of about 50 fans were seated on chairs in front of the simple stage. Backstage was quite spacious and some performers were doing make-up or gossiping. They seemed very relaxed.

I happened to watch a scene which was quite funny. The male character was someone of high rank or royal status. He met a pretty girl and disturbed her. (The female artiste was a bit plump but not bad-looking.) They said a lot of funny things which delighted the spectators.

Later more people came. Nearby there was also a feast-cum-auction for ‘devotees’. I don’t know what the occasion was.

These are the 2 characters.


backstage


5 comments:

Kongming said...

aiyo... how come suddenly all blog abt street opera...

A.C. said...

Well I didn't.. haha...
Anyway, this troupe was the troupe that I performed street opera with. I was about 15 or 16 then, and tried for one day.. not fun. haha...

Miko said...

feel like trying but now cannot already.. cuz ang will tekan me.

Victor said...

For a moment there, I thought that this post was about the wayang in Aljunied, hehe.

Chris Sim said...

Wayang in Aljunie? Pse lah victor, that ended on 6 May. Now let's see what "wayang" our BIG BROTHER gonna show us, now that they have won. Did I read correctly? That they are considering introducing evening ERP at the ECP to "ease the jam"? Someone said the ruling party always pulls such tricks after the election. Let's wait and see lor.