September 30, 2006

EM3, RK and NS


The scrapping of EM3 in primary school brought to mind the scrapping of RK in secondary school years back. RK is religious knowledge. When RK was started people said good and when it was scrapped people also said good. I think one good thing was
that students who otherwise knew nothing about religions learnt something about religions.

Because of this RK thing I learnt about Buddhism. I am not a Buddhist and I didn’t become a Buddhist after the taking the courses in Buddhist Studies. But I find the Buddhist doctrine of compassion and self-reliance agreeable with me.

Similarly because of compulsory NS I experienced army life. Otherwise I would not join the army or volunteer to do NS. Would you? I think now I am glad of it.

1 comment:

Victor said...

They are always making changes to the education system, e.g. first GEP, then IP. But they don't like to use the word 'changes' - they prefer to use the term 'fine-tuning' or 'adjustment'.

Life is a learning process for us ordinary folks but I think we also need 'adjustment' time to get used to the constant changes.