September 13, 2006

Ownership

Occasionally I send my feedback to reporters on their commentaries published in the Straits Times. Most of the time there were no replies.

Here is one example, with reply. The article was published last year. I think it was about ownership. This topic is relevant anytime, especially now with our ‘welcome foreigners’ policy.

This is my letter:

I think the person who commented on the lack of ownership is just expressing his personal perception.

I don't know what is your definition of ownership but I feel ownership in Singapore, like nationalism, should include love, pride and passion. You are right that this comes from having a role to play. However, I do not agree that it must be in the form of taking part in discussions, speaking up, and so on. Having a role could simply means the work we are doing, be it our humble jobs or just little acts of keeping our country clean. You seem to link ownership with the freedom to speak our mind without any rules. You mean if we allow this Singaporeans will feel they have ownership. How could it be. We should feel ownership in the country just because we are born here or for some others because they choose to live here…….

I think ownership of home is one important factor that roots people here whether then or now.


This is the reply:

Dear Mr __,

Thank you for writing to me.

You are right that ownership means different things to different people.

That is a point I should have included in my column. I am happy to hear that you feel pride and passion for Singapore and yes, I am sure many other Singaporeans do too.

_____
Senior Correspondent
The Straits Times

4 comments:

Kongming said...

i think the point of view is different.

to me, ownership is not juz having wat i physically have, eg 5Cs and 5Bs.

freedom of view etc, is also wat we enjoy to have.

Victor said...

I am curious to know whether the Senior Correspondent published your comments in the papers subsequently. If he did not but only replied you personally through e-mail then I am sorry to say that he did not seem to be very sincere to me. Appeared to be just being diplomatic or 'entertaining' you only.

Anonymous said...

I don't know because I didn't keep track. But I don't think so. Anyway, it doesn't matter; I think, when she writes now she will keep in mind that they are people who care and bother to write in. I also think she is sincere; she didn't need to reply at all.

yvonne said...

Hi! Was hoping to hear what you think about the reply in your entry, but you did not write about that. Anyway, I think it might not be easy for the senior correspondent to publish your or any other readers' comments, because it is not like a follow-up article, but more of a response to a commentary. But her reply to you does show that she has taken note of your response.
I think one of the things that keeps journalist going is readers' response, whether good or bad.
I sure hope there are more readers like you.