March 05, 2007

Car expenditure

Just paid my car insurance ($509) and 6 months road tax ($475) and also did a servicing ($170). The total came up to whopping $1154. So I did a simple ‘car budget’. Replacement of items, repairs, fines and inspection fees are not included. These are difficult to estimate.

Item Cost
petrol$1560
season parking
$764
outside parking $480
insurance $509
road tax $950
servicing $510
Total$4773

See, average a hefty $398/month.

Petrol, the major item, could be considered transport expenditure as this money will be used for transport if I don’t have a car. One fixed big-money item is road tax. It is independent of usage, no difference if you drive 100km or 10 km daily.

Any ‘less road tax more usage tax’ would be good news to people like me..

Hopefully there will be rebates on road tax and season parking in future government budgets. Also hope oil prices will drop.


4 comments:

Victor said...

You use only $130 p.m. for petrol? I guess you must be retired and only travel for leisure. I use more than twice that amount.

I am also driving a 1600 cc car (road tax is around yours). My daily mileage is 70 km. 60,000 km servicing at the agent is very expensive for my car. I heard it's about $1,000 because they change the timing belt, water pump, engine mounts, and some other wear and tear parts.

Anonymous said...

My petrol usage has been like that all along. Of all the workplaces the furthest was about 8km away and the nearest just 4km. Actually I seldom travel for leisure. I do take public transport once in a while.

I still go to the Toyota agent for servicing. They have packages from $106 to $348 but I don't think they include replacement of expensive parts.

Kongming said...

ur instalment finished already?

Anonymous said...

just finished paying...it was a great relief.