October 19, 2007

Gay petition

An NMP has filed a 1000-signature petition to Parliament on behalf of a group of people. These people want the law against homosexuality to be repealed. I think it is a waste of time.

You see, the review of the Penal Code and gathering of feedbacks have been on for a year or so. I am sure these people have submitted very strong and rational arguments to the review committee. If these cannot convince them, surely they don't expect a petition can change the Government's mind.


I said before and I still believe the Government will repeal the law. It will take time, but no need another 20 years, could even be 5 years. No need for another review. The Government can amend the law and get it through parliament.

I feel if these people push too hard, opposition from the opposite camp will also be strong. They can also get a keep-the -law petition and with more signatures.

And trying to get foreigners to speak for them is not a good idea also. Why not be patient.


new link (see right): Tung On Wui Kun

4 comments:

Victor said...

It is natural for most straight guys feel indifferent about this issue as it doesn't concern them. Therefore it is little wonder why this NMP was asked if he was gay. He denied, of course, and at the same time saying that whether he was gay or not was irrelevant to the petition.

Another thing that got me wondering is: why does the law only cover homosexual men? How about women? Are they respecting the equality of the sexes and women's rights here? Or do they think that homosexual women do not exist in Singapore?

Anonymous said...

I think it got to do with traditions and accepted practices etc. There are also other inequalities between the sexes.

Somehow two women together like holding hands looks ok.

Lam Chun See said...

I think its medical reason. Anyway, what do I know.

Anonymous said...

I hope no change for 50 years