October 26, 2007

Voting

The Thais will be voting for another government in November. But Thaksin, the former elected prime minister who was thrown out when the military took over, can't even return to Thailand.

In Myanmar, the people can't even vote. UN mediator Gambari will be meeting Myanmar rulers in November. Hope something positive will come out of it. It is a very difficult problem. I don't believe sanctions and isolation are effective. It may cause more suffering to the people.

Below is part of a speech I gave many years ago.
The audience were teenagers. The speech consisted of 12 handwritten foolscap pages but it lasted about 20 mins only and it was torture for me. Before that I was praying for something to happen, like a sudden fire drill, so that I didn't have to talk but God didn't answer my prayer.

I really admired our head - he could just stand on stage without scripts and talk for 30 minutes anytime. But he had no topic, just rojak talk.

This speech is still relevant today. With some updates it can be used again. This part is about the importance of voting. Actually much of the content was copied from an old civics textbook.

The writing was a bit untidy but the scripts were meant only for myself, no need to send to my superior for vetting.

1 comment:

Victor said...

Must be many, many years ago. Don't even have typewriter.