June 15, 2008

1910

A week ago I was at Kreta Ayer People's Theatre waiting for the Kong Chow 168 anniversary show to start. Then I saw a lady usher guiding an old woman to her seat. From their conversation, she was 98 years old.

Those of you who are below 30, 98 is so far away, right? (According to my previous survey, about one-third of my visitors are below 30.)

She really looked old with her wrinkled shrunken face. She was of small-built. But, from the way she talked and walked, she looked healthy enough. I think she would have no problems passing the century mark. Later a woman came to talk briefly to her. She didn't speak loudly so it meant the old lady's hearing was still good. Still later a man sat beside her.

The usher asked her the secret for her longevity. She said "don't eat pig meat, eat fish".

I was thinking of going over to ask her what watching opera was like in the 1920s and 30s when she was a sweet young girl. But then ... Tok Tok Tok Chang! ... Chang! Chang! Chang! Chang! Chang! The show started.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, was searching cantonese opera for my granny and chanced upon on your website..Surprise to see a singaporean like cantonese opera.
Good website. A pity that i can't down the opera cos i want to do it for my granny who was in coma. But thanks for blog...something for me to remember when my granny bought me to see the opera when i was younger...

Anonymous said...

I am always 'moved' by people who
cared enough to bring 'old' people meaning above 90 years to watching
cantonese opera . Bring them for
medical check up is common, but
bringing them to watch opera, i take my hat off to them

Victor said...

It is indeed rare to find a 98-year-old who is healthy and not hard of hearing. Even rarer to find one who still appreciates the finer things in life, like watching Cantonese opera.

Hmm... maybe her secret to longevity is being an opera fan?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said..."Surprise to see a singaporean like cantonese opera."
Haha, this is a surprise to me... I am not the only 'odd one', there many people who like Chinese opera, not only cantonese, but hokkien, teochew and others. Only that anonymous is not aware.

Yes, there are also family members bringing their parents/grandparents who are in wheelchairs.

Hi Vic, hope you are right about the secret of longevity.