June 28, 2008

Miscellaneous

During the Wuchuan opera week I met an opera fan who is a Teochew. He speaks good cantonese. He likes the Wuchuan Troupe and has watched 4 nights. He talked to me about the Guangdong Cantonese Opera Youth Troupe that came here a few years back. He still remembers the 2 shengs, Mun Yu Ching and Pang Heng Wah, his favourite. He said they were very good. He also watches local shows. Quite surprising that a Teochew so interested in cantonese opera and knows quite a lot too. He also watches Teochew opera.

A couple of days ago I saw a Chinese man at the pavement, in front of a pedestrian crossing. I think he was waiting for no cars before he crossed. Maybe he is from China where the drivers don't stop for you to cross the road. Even if you are crossing some will just whiz past you. In Singapore, if you just stand there some drivers will also not stop because they don't know if you want to cross or not. You must at least make the motion - step onto the road.

A few weeks ago
I was somewhere in the housing estate at Crawford Street. I couldn't figure out the directions, so I was not sure where the nearest MRT was. I asked a Chinese man who was passing by. He didn't understanding English so I asked him in Mandarin. It turned out he was a worker from China and he pointed out to me the direction to the Kallang MRT. Haha, a Singaporean asking a foreigner for directions!

No comments: