June 26, 2008

Tyrwhitt Road

This road is in Jalan Besar. Now, how do you pronounce Tyrwhitt? Try.

At first I didn't know how to pronounce it.

This short road is very ordinary and dull-looking. Once upon a time there were 3 well-known landmarks in this area. One was the famous Jalan Besar Stadium which is still there. The second was the New World Amusement Park, an entertainment hub of yesteryears. It is gone now. The third was the prestigious Victoria School, which was next to JB Stadium. The school is in Marine Parade now. I don't know if the old building is still in Tyrwhitt Road.

VS was in Tyrwhitt Road for decades. There was a principal who used to tell the new sec one pupils the address of the school and how to pronounce that word.

Not tie-whit or tur-whit, he said, Tyrwhitt is pronounced Tilt.


Principal you know, so must be correct. Did you get it right?

I don't remember learning phonetics in school.
There are many words I don't know how to pronounce. It doesn't matter much. But if I have to say them to an audience, I will ask somebody first.


I have added a few photos of the Wuchuan City COT artistes at my Xanga Site:
http://photo.xanga.com/frannxis

6 comments:

Victor said...

As you know, Victoria School is my alma mater.

The old Victoria School building in Tilt... I mean Tyrwhitt Road is still there. I passed by one or two months back and they were doing finishing touches to the renovation. (The building will be turned into the new People's Association HQ.)

Outside, the building looks the same. Don't know about the inside though.

They have torn down the newer Annexe building at the back. This building used to house some classrooms and laboratories.

I still can't believe that the correct pronunciation of Tyrwhitt is "Tilt". Tell that to a taxi driver and he will likely go "Hah? Di doh lok? (Hokkien for "where is that?")

I call it Tie-whit and so does most people, I think, including the taxi drivers.

Victor said...

Hmm... you seem to have some kind connection to Victoria School which I am still trying to identify. *scratching head*

Anonymous said...

I only know Christ Church Sec took over the building for several years. After that I don't know .... Thanks for the information.

I also think tie-whit is ok. Even some taxi-drivers don't know Tie-whit, they are more familiar with JB Stadium.

I know of a few old Victorians.

Lam Chun See said...

Reminds me of Tyersall Road? You know where that is? Pls don't ask me for the correct pronunciation.

Lam Chun See said...

Nowadays many young people have very difficult to pronounce names. My poor wife; she's a teacher, and her girls get upset if she mis-pronounces their names and so she asks me. I 'one head dew'.

Anonymous said...

I think it is 'tie-sail'. From the directory, looks like it is in Bukit Timah.

Right, nowadays some pupils have unusual/strange names - shouldn't expect every teacher to know how to pronounce all these names.