September 27, 2009

meanings

Melodic or melodious 
I used the word melodic in the previous post because it came to mind first. Later I thought, shouldn't it be melodious? I looked up the dictionary. Both have a same meaning - sounds like music or has a pleasant tune. So, in most cases we can use either one because usually that is the meaning we want to convey. 


However, melodic has another meaning - a technical one concerning the main tune in a piece of music. For example: There is very little melodic variation in the piece. Here we cannot use melodious


香夭 Xiang Yao
This is the name of the last scene in the opera The Patriotic Princess. Initially I was only guessing what yao means. Later, I checked it up.  Yao - tender; gentle; to die prematurely.


Blogger's updated editor
There is this option: Convert newlines to <br />s
Anyone knows what this means.

5 comments:

Victor said...

Regarding your question on the conversion of newlines to line breaks, I believe you are aware that there are 2 modes for inputing a new post, i.e. "HTML" and "Compose". The former stands for Hyper Text Markup Language and consists of all the special codes required to display your contents on a web browser like Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. The latter is a visual or "as you see it" mode.

Now if your "Convert Line Breaks" (in "Settings" > "Formatting" of you Blogger dashboard) is set to "No", an "Enter" key which you press in the latter will not be converted to the "br" code in the former. ("br" enclosed in the "less than" and "greater than" signs stands for "newline" or "line break" in HTML).

I set "Convert Line Breaks" to "Yes" because I want the HTML to have the "newline" whenever I hit "Enter" key.

Unknown said...

In today's (27 Sep) ZaoBao, there is an article on FuJian QuanZhou NanYin (福建泉州南音).

It has been bothering me quite a while as to why there is also a GuangDong (Di Shui) Nanyin (广东(地水)南音)? Isn't it confusing for these two entirely different melodies to be called the same NanYin?

Of course, I like the GuangDong NanYin better.

fr said...

Victor, thanks a lot for your explanation.

CC, Quanzhou Nanyin is an ancient type of nanyin. It is a variation of the Hokkien dialect. In Singapore, the Siong Leng Musical Association has performances in this type of nanyin every year. I have watched some of them.

Unknown said...

Fr:

Thanks for the reply.

Could you enlighten me why both versions are called NanYin? Any legend, esp the Cantonese version, for it to be called NanYin?

Thanks.

fr said...

I have little knowledge of this myself. From what I have read, Quanzhou is the birth place of nan yin more than 1000 years ago.

Whether cantonese nan yin evolved from Quanzhou nan yin, or whether it has its own source, I do not know.