March 27, 2012

not good behaviour

Last Saturday I attended a Cantonese opera show at a community club. There were opera excerpts and songs. The last item was a duet, the song of which fans are very familiar with. I think the lady singer is from Kong Chow Wui Koon or Tung On (I think it is now known as OperaWorks.). I have seen her perform opera before. The male singer is quite well-known and is a good and an experienced singer.


During this last item, a group in the audience stood up and started leaving. Soon more and more people also started to make for the exit. At a show of this nature, it is not uncommon that some people leave early. But, in this instance, it looked like an exodus. I think it is quite disheartening to the two performers..

Why? Couldn't they wait for about 10 minutes more for the song to end? I am sure these people were not going to attend to some emergency or to attend an important meeting. They were also not old folks brought there by buses and had to leave at a certain time. It was not late neither. I think it was about 10 past 10. Were they trying to make it to another show?.

Anyway, I think it is not nice to leave in the middle of a performance. It is better to leave before the item starts.

Perhaps the compere in a show like this could remind the audience that the last item is only so long, say15 minute, and the artistes would appreciate if they stay on to support.

1 comment:

Lam Chun See said...

Especially embarrassing if the performer was a foreigner.