March 10, 2012

old folks

There are quite a number of elderly folks above 65 in my ward. No need to wait for 10 or 20 years. By then their percentage will have increased. I see them at the market and the void deck near my block. Some were just sitting around chit-chatting.

A very stark reminder is old people using the overhead bridge nearby. I have seen a few walking up the stairs one step at a time. One or two of them need to use both hands to hold onto the railings. There is a man bent at the waist. Then there are also folks on wheelchairs helped along by their maids.

However, they look quite contented. Maybe contented is not the right word to use. I mean it looks like they have come to accept aging and the failings that come with it. Once I saw a woman sitting on the steps and I asked her if she needed help. She said she was ok, just taking a rest and thanked me.

These people I see are probably quite active and healthy. Those in a poorer state are likely to stay at home.

The Government have already started taking measures to prepare for the silver tsunami in 2030 and with regular reports and reminders by the media, I think people will be mentally prepared. I also think many people approaching 65 are taking steps to keep themselves active and healthy. So I am quite optimistic that things will be okay when the time comes.

If you want to know what it is like to be in a gathering of mostly silver-haired folks, you can attend a Cantonese opera show at a Community Club.

No comments: