August 27, 2007

Recent news

PM Lee said we can’t slow down with our economic development. I don’t know how right he is. I suppose the government understands the global and regional situation and our vulnerabilities better than us ordinary folks.

As for myself I would prefer a more relaxed life. Actually I am optimistic person. Never mind the fast-paced development or the hurried life, I will find time to laze around, daydream and do things that I enjoy doing. .

Regarding the pending changes to the CPF, I think they are good in the long term. But the two sore points are the delay of the drawing down of the minimum sum and the buying of an annuity for payout at age of 85. Chun See has a post on this. His link is on the right.

Hopefully these people waiting for their minimum sum will still have a job or have their own savings or able to get some help.

I think the government can support those penniless people 85 and above. I don't think there are many of them. Haha, maybe the G is worried that old people will then spend all their money before 85.

7 comments:

Kongming said...

need help from any insurance-known friends
if i die before 85, does it mean the balance payment goes down the drain?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think which plan to use not finalize yet...one plan the balance will go to a common pool, another plan, it will go to your family

KM, you are below 30, ....maybe in future the age will go up, retirement ago also go up

Victor said...

KM - If you're a below 30, you need not worry so far ahead. Yes, as Frannxis pointed out, maybe in future life expectancy and retirement age could go up. Don't forget that G may also change too. Er... I mean change policy hor? What were you thinking? Haha.

Frannxis - Did you read 27 Aug 2007's edition of Today newspaper? On Page 4, under the question, "Whose problem is it to look after the elderly?" Could you believe that the PM said this:

If it is your problem and you say: "Okay, this is my problem, I sign down here that when I'm 90 years old if I have no money I won't look for the government, I won't look for my MP, I won't do anything, my family will look after me," then maybe that's a private problem.

Well, I may be quoting that portion out-of-context. So it's better that you to read the whole article yourself.

Anonymous said...

no, i have not read this article...
From the out-of-context paragraph you quoted, it looks ok though

Victor said...

Fr, you can read the on-line article here.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, just read. It still looks ok to me.