May 13, 2009

Mantou

A few days ago, I took a bus. The driver was a woman, not very young but also not old. Maybe between 30 and 40. I am not good at guessing people's age. From her looks I think she is from China. It was not unusual to see woman bus drivers, even young ones, when I was in Guangzhou.

Later I went to an MRT station to top-up my card. I also had the feeling that the girl behind the counter was from China, so I asked her. She told me the province she came from.

On the way home I went to a supermarket to buy mantou. The cashier was also a China girl. I had asked her too.


It was a public holiday. Are more foreigners scheduled to work on public holidays? I don't think so. Probably just coincidence.

So, are foreigners taking our jobs, or just that companies cannot get enough locals to do these jobs? I guess it is the latter.


Mantou
Here are the small mantou I bought. I have been eating the bigger ones. The small ones take a shorter time to steam, about six minutes will do. Taste also good.



They look big but actually they are small. You can finish one mantou in 2 bites.

4 comments:

Victor said...

It is not easy to get locals to work in these jobs. Many perceive them to be low-paying, low-prestige, menial and requiring long hours and shift work.

Even the mantous, whether big or small, are also from China, I believe?

fr said...

Haha what makes you think the mantou from China, no, they are Singapore made.

Anonymous said...

I was given a ticket to Jubilee Theatre on 31.5.09 to watch a Cantonese singing or opera , i dont know ? Franxis, any idea ?
you got any brochure ? You are very 'on' with respect to local show.

fr said...

I don't know what show is that.

There are many shows I do not know about.