June 15, 2007

Camera

The photos in the last 4 posts were taken with my new camera. Actually I had no intention of buying a camera yet.

About two weeks ago, before the GSS started, I was at a big store to look at some LCD TV. The tv set at home is over 5 years old and has started to give problems. Sometimes the picture goes off with only the sound on. Then you have to switch off, wait for a while and switch on again. If lucky it will be ok; if not you have to try again.

After looking at the tv sets on display I walked to the camera section. "Xian sheng, nin hao", the salesgirl greeted me with a smile. And I had a conversation with her.

She recommended one camera "offer for this week only, got free gifts some more....."

"An ideal camera for holiday, very slim, can take 200 over photos with just one charging; also don't have to worry about shaky hands, got image stabilizer....."

"See, zoom also can....."

"Very popular, only a few left....."

"O, you so lucky, the colour you like, only one left".

Next I found myself going home with a camera. It wasn't even the brand I had in mind. If I had gone shopping for a camera, I would be looking at Sony or Panasonic.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Frannxis,

Very nice shots you had with the new camera.
My Toshiba TV lasted me since 1993 till now and it's giving me problem.

Do you have any recommendation for LCD TV?

Anonymous said...

I find that your new photos are brighter than the last few. I understand that the stablizer feature is very important.
My critieria for electronic goods nowadys is price and reasonable quality. Features are changing so fast, you hope the thing dont last too long. otherwise no reason to change lah!!

Anonymous said...

Your Toshiba is very lasting, mine is also Toshiba but only just more than 5 years.

I was recommended Sharp but that day I didn't see any Sharp, I saw mostly Samsung and Panasonic. They looked quite good. I have still not decided what to buy or whether to buy yet.

My other camera has no stabilizer and many of the photos were blur.

Kongming said...

wat model u buy?

Anonymous said...

casio ex-z700, blue colour

Victor said...

A sales staff who can persuade you to buy something which you have no intention of buying in the first place is very successful. What's more, if she can make you buy your less preferred brand, she is doubly successful.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think a courteous, skillful salesperson with a pleasant personality and some knowledge of human psychology is a great asset to the employer.

Lam Chun See said...

My Toshiba dvd recorder jus broke down. Still can record on hdd and playback dvd; but cannot record on dvd. Exactly 2 yrs old. Repairing it will cost ... listen to this .... $800+, when the original set cost only $700.

Victor said...

Chun See, nowadays DVD recorders are quite cheap. HDD ones with 160 GB would cost you less than $500. So it doesn't make sense to repair. If I were you, I would buy one with no HDD but could record on DVD to complement your existing one. A reasonably good one would cost you about $200. If you know how to hook the 2 pieces of hardware together, you can write from the HDD of the first recorder to a DVD in the new recorder. Solves your problem at just $200.