June 13, 2007

Opera excerpts night

on 10 June 2007

from left
:
赵震宇(男花旦), 郑咏梅, 洪海, 黄伟坤, 曾慧, 梁玉城

These are just my personal, non-professional views:

1. The nan huadan (male who performs as female) performed a song and dance Tian Nu San Hua. It was reported that he ventured into cantonese opera only two years ago. I think the reviews over-rated his voice and singing. I feel his voice and singing lacks the feminine flair and softness.


2. Cheng Wing Mui and Hong Hoi performed 3 excerpts. Wing Mui is an experienced artiste, sings well and can still perform difficult martial moves and action despite her age. Hong Hoi is comparatively new and younger. They both played their parts well. But the shows did not appeal.

In the first excerpt the part where the two artistes groped about and fought each other in the darkness was a bit too long and could be boring. The other two shows lack certain factors, I think it was the atmosphere and feelings. A lady behind me said during their third excerpt that they seemed to have 'no mood'.

3. Wong Wai Kuan and Zeng Wai performed 2 excerpts on Zhao Zi Long. I have seen Aw Kai Meng and Pang Zhi Quan as Zhao Zi Long and both did splendidly. Similarly Wai Kuan also did the role well, bringing to life the formidable warrior with his dominating personality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the "female" singer. I believe its impossible for a male to imitate 100% a female voice. But I think the guy did a good job. I believe the Beijing people have more experience in such singing.
Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the stars.

Anonymous said...

I have asked the ladies sitting beside me and other opera fans another day - some say he is good, some say Singapore's Aw Yang Peng Mun is better during his prime years. One said he is actions are not fine enough. But I think that is expected as he is only 2 years in opera.

Anyway thanks for your feedback.

Alan Wong said...

I remember the compere in praising the new male huadan, he announced that Singapore's Aw Yang Peng Mun cannot sing in the female voice on stage anymore. IMHO, I feel it is very unethical & unprofessional for him to say that in front of the audience.

I have bought the CD sung by the new male huadan and I honestly feel that he has done a very good job considering his stage experience is only 2 years.