February 20, 2009

close shop

A few days ago I was walking along Kreta Ayer Road. Quite surprised that more shops along this road have closed down. Perhaps this is also happening at other parts of Singapore. Sights like this reflect the gravity of the recession. Here are two of them ...



This is the carpark at Block 333 which is opposite the closed shops and also just below the Kreta Ayer CC and the Kreta Ayer People's Theatre . Several months ago it was free parking after 5pm and free parking on Sundays and public holidays. I used to park there when I watched shows at the Theatre. I also park there when I went to Chinatown on Sundays. But now it is pay parking every hour of day, every day of the year.


4 comments:

Victor said...

Fr, for a moment there, you gave me a big fright when I saw the title of this post from my blog. What a relief after I read what this post is all about. (At first, I thought you have closed down this blog.)

Yah man. Someone should tell HDB/URA the reality as they seem completely oblivious as to how bad the current economic situation really is. They should revert to free parking again soon.

Lam Chun See said...

I think most of these shops sell things that you can easily get in the HDB heartlands. With a dwindling and ageing population in Chinatown area; plus weak economy, plus falling tourist arrivals, I guess this was bound to happen.

I think our govt's stimulus package contains too little direct, quick CPR-type aid. What's the use of giving a severely ill person vitamins and supplements when what he needs is blood transfusion and operation, and pain relief medication.

Cut the rentals, reduce the transport costs (the bus and mrt fares should have been reduced long ago - as if they did not see the difficult times coming, reduce the foreign worker levies.

Anonymous said...

Some time ago you posted some nice photos from the new CO magazine "Modern CO Magazine'. I understand that issues 1 t0 11 of this magazine are now available at the Music Bookroom, Bras Basah Complex. The shop will continue to import this monthly magazine if response is good. I have subscribed for future copies.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: thanks for the information. I was not aware that it is sale here.

LCS: I think the shop on this side of Kreta Ayer Road were quite high-class type. There was even a law firm.