July 03, 2009

Pioneers and grandmothers

Pioneers
When a blog is not updated for 6 months or more, I presume that the blogger is no more interested in his blog and has abandoned it. I think 6 months is quite a reasonable time. There are exceptions though. There is a blog called Singapore Pioneers which is often not updated for months. I think this is one of the exceptions because there aren't many pioneers to write about.


Maybe the blogger could also write about Singaporeans who take up challenges (I was thinking of Victor's blog title.) like people running long marathons, climbing high mountains, old people studying for a degree ...



Grandmothers

The other day while at a cantonese opera show, some ladies behind me were chatting before the show started. One said 'I have to help look after my grandchildren'. If I were a teenager I would imagine an old wrinkled woman sitting on an armchair smiling at some small kids or babies.

But after years of contact with Chinese opera fans, I realized that many grandmothers are actually quite young and active. And quite a number are taking lessons in singing or even opera.


Later I turned back to have a look. Sure enough, no wrinkled old ladies but three young-looking women, maybe in the mid fifties. Of the night's performers I guess 3 of them are in the grandmother category.

1 comment:

Victor said...

Thanks for linking me, Frannxis. I am proud to be associated with challenges and grandmothers. :p