July 17, 2007

Sad farewell

I have been attending concerts by the Singapore Chinese Orchestra for years. I know only one musician in person but I can recognize many others by sight and I know some by names and something about them from write-ups in the programmes.

Today I visited a blog of Miko's friend and learnt that one of the SCO musicians has passed away recently - at just 53. A talented man - what a loss. Tian du ying cai. He is Mr Yeo Puay Hian. He played the Zhongruan and he was also a composer. I still remember him on stage. He used to sit on the right side of the conductor together with other musicians playing the plucked-string instruments like pipa and liuqin.


So although I only know this little about him, I feel a sense of loss. He will not be there on my future visits.

1 comment:

Victor said...

So sad. My condolences to Mr Yeo Puay Hian and his family. The SCO must have felt his loss greatly too.